Thursday, January 5, 2012

'I Can Only Imagine' by Mercy Me



I just finished an assignment for my Fine Arts class to select a video/song explaining how it's a work of art and how I personally identify with it. I think it speaks for itself, but this is what I wrote:


URL for video and song, ‘I Can Only Imagine’ by Mercy Me:



I chose this particular video because I can relate to the people in the video missing their loved one. I know the song is about seeing Jesus when you get to Heaven, but it also can be about seeing all your loved ones too. I like the beginning where they hold an empty photo frame. The empty frame represents the emptiness and grieve that I feel by the void of losing my precious son. The frame with the picture represents the special space that I feel in my heart and the overflowing love within that never vacates. I instantly feel my heart strings tug and a lump form in my throat as soon as I hear even the first few chords of the song, ‘I Can Only Imagine’ by Mercy Me. This song floods me with elation of happy thoughts and sad thoughts all at the same time. How can something as simple as words and music stir so much within me in just seconds, regardless of where I am? Well, it’s because of what I associate with the song and the memories that rush in with it. There are some things in life that can only be imagined, like arriving in Heaven and seeing my loved ones. How will I feel? How will I react? I imagine seeing my son again. Noah was only a baby when he died, and I wonder what will he look like, will I recognize him? How will it feel to embrace him again? I cannot even begin to imagine the joy and completeness that I will feel to have him in my arms again. But, when I hear the lyrics in this song, I can begin to imagine such a thing. How amazing! The song brings me a moment of comfort at the image of embracing my child once again, and for a moment I forget the gloom of that hospital room where I last held onto him. Nothing was harder than having to leave that room, and I really do imagine just running into the gates of Heaven surround by His glory. God is in the music and I just want to sing out loud when I hear this beautiful song. Music can stir so many emotions of memories, happiness, sadness, and has the ability to stop me in my tracks. I thank you Lord for the wonderful sound of music.

1 comment:

Jessica (I've survived a brain tumor!) said...

I haven't been on Blogger in ages, but today as I read this entry, I smiled through my tears! I look forward to seeing Baby Noah on that day too.